27.10.11

On A Train - Yuksek


the-perks-of-being-a-wallflower-movie-image-emma-watson-logan-lerman-01
a still from the film - which is still shooting

I think this blog has become somewhat of a failure to me. But that's just me being my pessimistic self that I am. I've been thinking of things to blog about, and it came to me - book reviews! I've never done a book review yet, so I guess I'll try one today. It might not seem like a typical professional critic's review because I have lots to say about this book, and I apologize if you readers were expecting a really expert-sounding, cool, review.

Okay, I'll get to the point. I've chosen The Perks of Being A Wallflower (1992) by Stephen Chbosky to review on, just because this book is so special to me. I read this book around three or four months ago when I was on holidays and I felt like it was important me to accomplish something (which is, to read a book). I remember looking up good reads online, and that didn't work out since I didn't find anything interesting enough for me to go out and buy. Prior to me buying the book, I had heard about it multiple times from friends and some sites on the net because of its popularity. At first, I wasn't really interested but I eventually got around to buying it anyways.

I actually downloaded it on my dad's kindle first, but I felt a bit empty since I prefer books to kindles. I went to around four or five book stores all around Bangkok, searching for it. Once I had bought it, I went home, re-read it, sat on my bed, and poured my eyes out. I was saved by the book. I have never been so head-over-heels in love with a book like this before.
Charlie's perspective of life, and how he feels "infinite" made me realize the true outlook into life (does that make sense?). Charlie is a 15 year old teenager who has just started high school. In the very beginning we find out that his best friend has committed suicide, and that Charlie doesn't actually have any friends. He meets Patrick and Sam, older kids who are into good music and cigarettes. He goes through so many phases in the book, and things us teenagers can definitely relate to. There's just this sadness and self pity in the way that Charlie writes to his anonymous friend - as the book's layout are in different letters. I won't say anything to spoil it for those of you who haven't read it (GO OUT AND BUY IT NOW), but the ending shocked me.

As you Harry Potter/Lightning Thief films fans know, they are making a movie out of this book. I've got to admit, I was a little angry when I found out they were turning it into a movie. I ignored all the harangue coming from my friends about how "Totally fricking awesome the movie is gonna be!!!". I thought it was one of those books that aren't meant to be movies, do you know what I mean? But after Longan Lerman was cast as Charlie, Emma Watson was cast as Sam, and Ezra Miller was Patrick, I realized that everything was going to be just fine. The promo pics have come out, and I'm more than glad to see the result of it - since Stephen Chbosky himself is directing the film.

This 213 page book was a gift, a true gift to me and other readers who feel the same way as I do. And I thank Stephen Chbosky for writing it, I really do.

Sorry for the short-ish post but I'll post a playlist I made to accompany the book a while back. Some of the songs were mentioned in the book, and I thought they were appropriate to add into. I never got to post it, so here it is.

Perks
1. Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron And Wine
2. Skinny Love - Bon Iver
3. Squealing Pigs - Admiral Fallow
6. Asleep - The Smiths
7. Brick - Ben Folds Five
7. Abandon - French Kicks
8. No Surprises - Radiohead
9. This Charming Man - The Smiths
10. Blackbird - The Beatles
11. Vapour Trail - Ride
12. MLK - U2
13. Nothing to Worry About - Peter Bjorn and John
14. Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkel
15. Practice - Slow Loris
16. Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

Hope you enjoyed it, ciao x

1 comment:

  1. love ur blog! <3
    let' s visit us

    xoxo k&m www.fashion-ache.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete